Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) Testing
Indoor air pollution is one risk that you can avoid if you’re informed. An TMP Home Inspection can give you peace-of-mind and put you on the path to a healthier home.
Maintaining good indoor air quality is important for your health. According to the EPA, indoor air quality poses a greater health hazard than outdoor air pollution, with pollutant levels averaging 2 to 5 times higher than outside. And with people now spending about 90% of their time indoors, exposure to these air pollutants has never been more significant.
Products and materials present in our homes constantly emit chemicals, called VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) into the air. The slightest elevation in humidity can cause mold to grow anywhere in the home – often in places that go undetected, like behind walls or under carpeting. Exposure to VOCs and growing mold can cause a number of health issues, from headaches to respiratory irritation to asthma exacerbation. Your health could depend on knowing exactly what’s in the air you breathe everyday.
Why You Should Test your Air?
- The only composite home air quality assessment
- Monitors for 500+ airborne chemicals with a single air sample.
- One test covers 2,000 sq. ft.
- Identifies chemical pollutants that could make you sick
- Predicts sources of the chemicals, whether from the home or its contents
- Checks for hazardous air pollutants
- Formaldehyde test available (additional charge)
- Sample collected by TMP Inspector
- Convenient – TMP Inspector handles all testing and shipping
- Referrals or recommendation to improve air quality
The Laboratory Behind TMP
Developed by Prism Analytical Technologies Inc., a renowned industry-trusted air testing laboratory
- Proven technologies utilized by many Fortune 100 and 500 companies
- Most sensitive methodology available
Fully developed collection and analysis technology
Accredited by the AIHA in the IH accrediation program for the analysis of thermal desorption tubes by GC-MS (Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry
- Ethanol – Cleaners, especially antiseptic wipes, personal care, consumable alcohol, some solvents; renewable gasoline component; pharmaceuticals
- Isopropanol – Rubbing alcohol; cleaners, especially antiseptic wipes; personal care; solvents; food and beverages; microbial biocides or antimicrobial agents
- Butane (C 4) – Aerosol propellant; cooking/camping/lighters fluid; liquefied petroleum gas (LPG); refrigerant; food additive
- Pentane (C 5) – Aerosol propellant; blowing agent; gasoline fuel component
- Acetone – Personal care, especially nail care; cleaners; paints and coatings; strippers and thinners; PVC cleaner, caulks and adhesives; wood filler; solvent
- Isobutane – Gasoline and fuel additive; aerosol propellant; refrigerant; cooking/camping/lighter fluids
- Cyclohexane – Solvents; glues and adhesives; some paints and coatings, petroleum fuel component
- a-Pinene – Pine lumber; fragrances and essential oils; solvents; insecticides
- Limoene – Limoene (CAS 138-86-3) ir d-Limoene (CAS 5989-27-5) Fragrances; paints and coatings; cleaners; solvent; preservative
- Tetrahydrofuran – Solvent; PVC cement/cleaner, some adhesives
EPA Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs)
- Carbonyl sulfide – Fumigant; contaminated drywall; fuel combustion byproduct; some foods; naturally occurring at low levels
- Carbon Disulfide – Solvent; fumigant; contaminated drywall; combustion byproduct
- Methylene Chloride – Automotive products; degreasing solvent; paint stripper; adhesive remover; aerosol propellant; insecticide
- Hexane (C 6) – Solvent; adhesive; grease; lubricant; paints and coatings; petroleum fuel component
- 1,1,1-Trichloroethane – Adhesives, lubricants, cleaners, solvents
- Benzene – Gasoline. Less common sources include some discontinued solvents; printing and lithography; paints and coatings; rubber; dry cleaning; adhesives; detergents
- 1,2-Dichloroethane – PVC production; solvent for rubber, insecticides, oils, waxes, gums, resins; rug and upholstery cleaners
- Trichloroethene – Dry cleaning; degreasers and cleaners for home/automotive; varnish removers; anesthetic
- Methyl methacrylate – Acrylic Polymers for paints and coatings, adhesives, fillers; solvent; pharmaceuticals; personal care
- Toluene – Gasoline; adhesives (building and arts/crafts); contact cement; solvent; heavy duty cleaner
- Tetrachloroethene – Dry cleaning; adhesives, automotive cleaners, polishes
- Ethylbenzene – Gasoline; paints and coatings; solvent; pesticide
- m,p-Xylene – Gasoline; paints and coatings; adhesives and cements; solvent; print cartridges
- o-Xylene – Gasoline; paints and coatings; adhesives and cements; solvent; print cartridges
- Styrene – Polystyrene foam; synthetic rubber; flavoring agent
- 1,4-Dichlorobenzene – Moth balls/crystals; room deodorant
- Naphthalene – Gasoline; diesel; Moth balls/crystals; insecticide